A friend and mentor, Ben Newman, says: “Be where your feet are”. I get the words but had not really seen it in action until recently.
I had the pleasure of spending nearly a week with the senior management team and other top producers for the 5Star Life Insurance Company. From the time we arrived, the 5Star executives were the definition of present. They made me feel like their number one priority, which started me thinking about our business and what’s important to be successful. Three things jump out:
- Purpose with a passion: I was surrounded by many of the agents who helped 5Star design the life insurance products I’m selling today. Their passion for helping clients was over the top. The same goes for the 5Star team. What you can’t see from the field is the fire in their eyes for constantly working to being great. Their company was founded on important principles and their purpose and passion was crystal clear to me.
- Stories sell: What we do is an amazing service for clients and hearing stories from other agents was motivating. We heard stories from agents who continually followed up on leads and were unfortunately too late. There were stories about agents who literally went above and beyond to help someone, only to be notified shortly after of a death claim from their clients’ loved ones. We should be telling our stories to clients. Remember, objections are simply unanswered questions and often times telling stories will help you rise above your clients’ objections.
- Embrace history: Many of the companies we work with have long, successful histories. Not many of them can match 5Star and its parent, the Armed Forces Benefits Association (AFBA). Hearing 5Star President and CEO Mark Singleton tell the story of how the AFBA was created was simply captivating.
AFBA was started in the basement of the Pentagon in 1947 by General Dwight D. Eisenhower to “ease strain on the military members and their families during wartime”. At that time service members could not purchase life insurance that would pay a death benefit if they were killed in a war zone. Since 1947, the AFBA has expanded its services to include active and retired military, first responders, senior citizens, and defense contractors. It currently has more than 345,000 members and has paid claims exceeding $1.2 billion.
The 5Star story is a great one. Listening to Mark reminded me how impactful a company’s history—not just the features and benefits of its products—can be in discussions with clients. And, check out the current and past board of directors of AFBA and 5Star on its website; it’s a who’s who most fortune 500 companies would beg to have.
People always say surround yourself with those you strive to mirror. I had the privilege of meeting agents who define the word success. They have a passion and purpose to their personal and professional lives that is worth trying to mirror.
Please contact us today if you would like more information on becoming an agent with 5Star Life Insurance and AFBA.
Need Errors and Omissions (E&O) coverage?
Get new lower rates with 5Star-sponsored program
through MGA Insurance Services. Contact MGA today for more details.
http://www.mga-eo.com/fivestar or 877-524-0265
Product of the week: 5Star Silver Premier Final Expense
If you read the story above you know why we’re so high on 5Star. The Silver Premier product is one of the best final expense products on the market. Take the time to dig into it!
- Issue ages: 50-85
- $5,000 – $25,000
- No medical exam
- Preferred plan
- Graded 30/70 split
- Accepts credit and debit cards
- Coordinates with Social Security payments
- Many pre-existing conditions accepted
- Daily commissions
- Discounted E&O insurance
- Strong history with military
Call 866-547-8780 and talk to Drew Gurley, ext. 102.
- Fixed annuities: 4 more answers to important client questions. Following up on last week’s blog story, this great report provides solid advice on how to present and prepare for selling annuities.
- Finding a mentor to help you grow your business. Ran across a great article in Startup Collective about the importance and value of finding a mentor. Startup pulled together several articles that are a great start toward building this important component of your business. Lots of good nuggets in here.
- Annuities: Sales of fixed products going up, up, up. You’ve heard it here before: if you’re not reaching deep into the Baby Boomer market you’re missing a big opportunity. Boomers are playing a major role in the resurgence of fixed annuities. Sales records have been set in four of the last five quarters. Give Drew a call to talk about the opportunity.
- All about annuities. Article provides great resources to learn more about annuities. We also love the website www.allthingsannuity.com. There is no better time than now to dip your toe (or dive head first) into the fixed annuity space. It’s a product most consumers don’t understand and one that plays well in volatile times. It’s all about helping clients manage risk.